Thursday, February 12, 2015

Asian Gourmet Hut restaurant review

Pan mee or mee hoon kueh is my favourite Malaysian food as mentioned in my very first post. So far, the only good pan mee I can find in Melbourne is at Asian Gourmet Hut. I actually discovered this restaurant a few years back when I read the JOM magazine that featured a list of Malaysian restaurants that offered pan mee. After trying each of them, I concluded that Asian Gourmet Hut has the best pan mee of all.

Asian Gourmet Hut is located in Doncaster East which is quite a drive for me from the city. Well, the distance is a small huddle when one is hunting for good food! Since then, we have been visiting this restaurant whenever we feel like having a bowl of pan mee but were lazy to make it at home. If I'm not mistaken, the restaurant only serves pan mee for lunch. The dinner menu consists of the usual chinese dishes. So it's best to call the restaurant to confirm if pan mee is available to avoid disappointment.

pan mee at Asian Gourmet Hut

How did Asian Gourmet Hut's pan mee top the list? Well, it boils down to 2 simple things - the thin pan mee noodles and the soup. Their pan mee noodles are manually torn into thin pieces. Besides that, the pan mee soup has a good balance of flavour. Having said that, I reckon their pan mee is lacking ingredients and I personally prefer more ikan bilis flavour in the soup. 

Other than pan mee, they also serve various double boiled soup and steamed dishes on rice in addition to the usual Malaysian noodles and rice dishes. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the double boiled soup and the steamed dishes on rice but I reckon they are quite good and it's something you don't usually get from other Malaysian restaurants in Melbourne. 

wat tan hor at Asian Gourmet Hut

I've tried their wat tan hor too given that I'm a wat tan hor fan. However, I think their wat tan hor is just average and not as good as Laksa King's.

If you're longing for a bowl of pan mee in Melbourne, you must give Asian Gourmet Hut a try! Otherwise, you could always make your own at home by following the pan mee recipe. It's quite easy! :)

Asian Gourmet Hut on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment