Thursday, November 20, 2014

Dish'd Food Store review - part 1

I have been searching for home delivery meals as an alternative to take away food for our dinners on the busy weekdays. A quick search on Google actually returned a number of options. Coincidentally, The Age recently published a useful review of affordable home delivered meals.

There are some variations among the home delivery companies. Some offer ready made food that you could easily heat up while others offer easy-to-prepare meals with all the required ingredients and instruction packed in a bag. Then, there are also weekly meal plans offered by companies such as Lite n Easy and Weight Watchers. In addition, I actually found one Asian restaurant called The Happy Wok which delivery freshly cooked food on a daily basis! Unfortunately, where I live is not within their delivery zone.

In the end, I decided to try Dish'd simply because the delivery timing, budget as well as the food choices suited me just fine. Moreover, there's an introductory offer of $30 discount and free delivery on the first order when you spend more than $50! Another plus point for Dish'd is they provide a very convenient next day delivery.

I received my order on Friday afternoon for the purchase I made on Thursday night. So quick and efficient! The frozen food was delivered in a polystyrene box that was packed with dry ice. 

Dish'd food review

Wow, look at my one week worth of food! Most of the food Dish'd offers only require microwave and are ready to be consumed in a few minutes. How convenient isn't it! Let's take a look at some of the meals that I've tasted.

Dish'd food review - porcini mushroom taglierini
Dish'd food review - porcini mushroom taglierini

Porcini mushroom taglierini was the first meal I tried. It was cooked in just 5 minutes. :) The pasta was cooked al dente. I was impressed to find that Dish'd provided real mushrooms in the pasta! To be honest, it didn't taste anything like frozen food. Taste wise, I reckon it was just average as the sauce tasted like mushroom soup.

Dish'd food review - sea bass with spinach
Dish'd food review - sea bass with spinach

Next, sea bass with spinach. If the dish was served on a plate, I won't be able to tell that this was frozen food! The fish was juicy and yummy. The tomato, extra virgin olive oil and parsley sauce made it a really nice fish dish. One of the better Dish'd meals.

Dish'd food review - Ricotta and spinach tortelli mezzaluna
Dish'd food review - Ricotta and spinach tortelli mezzaluna

Ricotta and spinach tortelli mezzaluna is my favourite pasta! The al dente pasta together with the butter and sage sauce made it a simple yet delicious dish! I would certainly order more next time.

Dish'd food review - sea bream with vegetables
Dish'd food review - sea bream with vegetables

Another fish dish - sea bream with vegetables. I must say that the fish together with the extra virgin olive oil, lemon and mustard sauce was good. However, the steamed vegetables such as carrots and broccoli reminded me of airline meals.

Dish'd food review - Penne pepperonata
Dish'd food review - Penne pepperonata

I really like the fact that this Dish'd frozen pasta tastes just as good as fresh pasta. Penne pepperonata is another yummy pasta dish. There were a lot of roasted red capsicum in the pasta. If you like strong tasty sauce, this meal is right up your alley. Interestingly, the packet indicates a serving size of 4 but I reckon it was just nice for 2 serves.

Overall, the dishes were good and they never tasted like the usual frozen food that you get from the supermarket. Apart from the small portions, I reckon this is the best frozen food I've tasted so far!

P.S: Look out for more Dish'd reviews in my upcoming posts (Dish'd Food Store review - part 2).

No comments:

Post a Comment