Monday, October 26, 2015

Nine Elephants Thai restaurant review

We'd been dining at a few restaurants in Docklands lately after spending time at a nearby children playground. There aren't too many choices actually, as most of the restaurants closer to the office side of Docklands are closed for business on the weekends. Nine Elephants Thai restaurant is one of those restaurants which opens on Saturday for dinner. It's located on a quieter street especially on the weekends. If it wasn't for a friend's recommendation, I won't be looking for a restaurant on this street. It's a small restaurant with nice decor and ambiance. They don't have a baby high chair but they do provide a booster seat which is good enough. 

There's quite a wide selection of food from the menu. All are the standard Thai food that you get from a Thai restaurant. For most of the meals, there are four levels of spiciness namely mild, medium, spicy and Thai spicy to choose from. However, I got to warn you - do let them know if you can't take spicy food. The mild spiciness on certain dishes can be quite spicy for some (I'm serious).

Here are some dishes we've ordered over the last two Saturdays:

Clear tom yum soup at Nine Elephants
First, we had the entree size, clear soup version of seafood tom yum with medium spiciness. Looks can be deceiving. It was actually quite spicy but nice. One of the best tom yum soups I've had in Melbourne. 

Pad Thai with crispy pork at Nine Elephants
Whenever I dine in a Thai restaurant, I must order a Pad Thai at least once. There's no exception here as well. I ordered a medium spiciness Pad Thai with crispy pork. I was told that a mild version will be served with additional chilli on the side so that I can control how spicy I want. The Pad Thai was really good. I especially love the crispy pork. It was tasty but not overly sweet and oily. However, the mild version wasn't spicy enough for me so I sprinkled the chilli flakes/powder generously on it. Mind you, the chilli flakes/powder was quite spicy! 

stir fried Chinese broccoli at Nine Elephants
The mild version of stir fried Chinese broccoli with chicken was extremely spicy due to the chopped chilli. I'd certainly ask them to tone down the spiciness if I were to order it again. 

non-spicy fried rice at Nine Elephants
I ordered a non-spicy fried rice which was not in the menu for my little one. It was average but tasty.

Satay at Nine Elephants
The satay was surprisingly good. The meat was tender and juicy. Note that the dish actually came with 4 sticks of satay. As you can see, I was too eager to taste it before taking a photo!

seafood kuay teow tom yam at Nine Elephants
Lastly, the medium spiciness seafood kuay teow tom yam. It's interesting that the tom yam was served with a half hard-boiled egg. The kuay teow tom yam was loaded with button mushrooms and seafood. Needless to say, it was superb!

The food in Nine Elephants was excellent with reasonable price. It's certainly the best Thai restaurant in Docklands, if not Melbourne.

Nine Elephants Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment